Investigation into Ex-Prince Andrew Will Assess Claims of Sexual Misconduct, Police Say

Investigation into Ex-Prince Andrew Will Assess Claims of Sexual Misconduct, Police Say

The former Prince Andrew was arrested in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office and released after 11 hours in custody

People Prince Andrew attends the traditional Easter Sunday Mattins Service on April 20, 2025 in Windsor, England.Credit: Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • In an update on Friday, May 22, Thames Valley Police said they are also assessing "reports that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes"

  • Andrew's arrest came after amid authorities' investigation into a claim he shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein in his previous role as U.K. trade envoy

The U.K. police investigation into the formerPrince Andrewwill look into claims of sexual misconduct.

On Feb. 19, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor wasarrested at his home on the Sandringham Estateon suspicion of misconduct in public office.

His arrest came amid authoritiesinvestigating a claim that he shared confidential information with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epsteinin his previous role as a U.K. trade envoy. He wasreleased after about 11 hours in police custody. Two of Andrew’s homes were also searched. He has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.

In a news release shared on Friday, May 22, Thames Valley Police (TVP) announced that they were continuing their investigation, sharing that “in addition to the investigation into misconduct in public office, the assessment of reports that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes is ongoing.”

PEOPLE contacted a representative for Andrew on Friday, May 22, but did not immediately receive a response.

This comes after a second woman came forward in late January to allege that she was sent to the U.K. by Epstein to have sex with Andrew,PEOPLE previously reported.

Prince AndrewCredit: Chris Jackson/Getty

According to theCrown Prosecution Service (CPS)in the U.K., an individual can also be found guilty of misconduct in a public office if they use their position “to instigate (or attempt to instigate) sexual or otherwise inappropriate relationships.”

The release added that following Andrew’s arrest and the search of his two properties, “we have been working with the United States Department of Justice to get further information that may be related to this investigation. We have also been working with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in the United Kingdom and have sought early investigative advice from them as we would in serious, complex, or sensitive cases.”

“The investigation is examining a number of aspects of alleged misconduct following the release of files under the Epstein Files Transparency Act in the United States,” the release added. “We are also speaking with a number of witnesses, however as per national guidance we cannot confirm or deny the identities of these individuals.”

The woman's lawyer, Brad Edwards, told theBBCon Jan. 31, “We’re talking about at least one woman who was sent by Jeffrey Epstein, over to Prince Andrew. And she even had, after a night with Prince Andrew, a tour of Buckingham Palace.”

Jeffrey EpsteinCredit: Rick Friedman/Corbis via Getty

The lawyer alleged that Andrew entertained the unnamed woman at his home, Royal Lodge, in Windsor, in 2010. She was in her 20s at the time, per the outlet.

Advertisement

Edwards also represented the lateVirginia Giuffre, who alleged that she was trafficked to London to have sex with Andrew when she was 17.

Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025. Andrew has repeatedly denied Giuffre’s allegations andreached a settlementwith her in 2022.

In their release on Friday, TVP said, “We have engaged with the woman’s legal representative to confirm that, should she wish to report this to police, it will be taken seriously and handled with care, sensitivity and respect for her privacy and her life-long right to anonymity under UK law.”

“We recognize how difficult it can be to speak about experiences of this nature, and any contact with police will be led by her wishes, when and if she feels ready and able to do so,” they added.

Police have also called for anyone with information related to their investigation to come forward.

Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up forour free Royals newsletterto get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!

Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement, “Our misconduct in public office investigation is continuing. Misconduct in public office is a crime that can take different forms, making this a complex investigation.”

“Our team of very experienced detectives are working meticulously through a significant amount of information that has come in from the public and other sources," Wright added. We are committed to conducting a thorough investigation into all reasonable lines of enquiry, wherever they may lead. We encourage anyone with information to get in touch with us through the normal non-urgent contact channels, such as the Thames Valley Police online portal.”

In October 2025, Andrew’s brotherKing Charlesstripped him of royal titlesas his links to Epstein came under renewed scrutiny.

Andrew's relationship with the American financier, who died while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges in August 2019,set a step back from royal life and public dutiesthat November.

Read the original article onPeople

 

CUSTOS MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com